Wednesday, September 13, 2006

And they leave a lovely after taste...

Ok so to be fair, no Aussie tv shows or movies air here (except Crocodile Dundee & silly things like that) so most Americans only see pic's of the outback & Opera house & that's it.The other day I was talking to an American, I will call him Joe, and this was the converstation.
"I had some of my Aussie's in to visit me over the summer & they loved it here".Joe says "Oh what did they think of the house & backyard?". I said "What do you mean, they thought it was fine." Then he says "Well what did they think about the grass in the yard?" I said "They thought it was fine, what are you talking about?" "Well, were they amazed that it was green?" I said "um, they have GREEN grass in AUS, what other color would it be?" He says "But isn't everything there just brown?" I had to remind myself again that we don't get to see any of your culture here, but hello, common sense, grass is green. But wait, it gets better....

To preface this for any american's reading my blog, they don't have squirrels really in AUS. Ok so I was saying all of the things that my Aussie's are fascinated by when they come here, the types of food, tv, etc. And I said "the funny is thing is how they all react when they see squirrels on the street". (I was about to say because they don't have any in Oz, but before I could he says.. "why because they eat them?"
I almost spit out my drink, & said "W-H-A-T??" He said, "Are they fascinated that squirrels just run wild here bc they eat them on sandwhich's & stuff?" I was like "NO, they don't EAT the squirrels." Will someone please get Bert or Rove to adopt me? Save me.........please...........

3 comments:

Meghan said...

I don't know if you get the Sundance Channel, but they play Kath & Kim a few times a week.

Utegirl said...

Hilarious..

And NO..we DON'T all have a pet Kangaroo, or have them running down the streets..

And...we don't all love vegemite. Well I don't...it's just a personal taste..I much prefer Promite. =D

corym said...

I'm probably the only Aussie male who will admit that Fosters doesn't taste overly bad.

Similar to your green grass episode, when I visited Vancouver, I was asked why I was wearing Blundstones, as "they'd fall apart in the wet, because Australia is so dry". Oh the hilarity.